Friday, May 03, 2019

Rock Star Challenges and Preparations

Getting ready for a show isn’t always easy. Most of the time it is straightforward: sing the songs a bit more, remember the words, teach the band everything they forgot. Maybe lay off the carbs and salt for a few weeks before so I look good. Treadmill. Buy some new clothes.

And then just show up and be fabulous.

This time it’s different. The Instrument, once reliable, sturdy, and predictable (if imperfect) is damaged. It’s a creeping rust, sapping my stamina. I can shine and flash, but only for a few minutes at a time. A toll paid for escape and survival, with the full balance both unknown and as yet,  unpaid.

It isn’t just creeping age, though I am sure Father Time will come a-scything soon enough. These are the kinds of challenges that have hit other big stars, like Ryuichi Sakamoto, Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson, Poison’s RIkki Rocket, and Aerosmith’s Tom Hamilton. As always, I am in good company.

I hope you will all bear with me for this gig. I will do my best. See you there.

Humbly yours,

$!D.

No comments: